Thursday, May 29, 2014

Birthday Celebration!

Usually, I write this blog to Audrey, but this time I am writing it to you. Audrey is turning SIX on June 9th! Can you believe it?? She is finishing up her kindergarten year and in August will be a first grader. Wow.

Every year we have with Audrey we cherish. Each birthday is a pretty big deal, considering we didn't even know if she would make it to the first one. While we know next year is never promised with any of our children, we are always a bit more aware of that with Audrey. I haven't thrown her a party for the last couple of birthdays but this year I won't miss that opportunity.

So this is your invitation. Calling all family, friends, Sunday school teachers, therapists, neighbors and other loved ones. If it's been a while since you've seen Audrey and need to hug her neck, come! If you saw her just yesterday, come! If you have never had the chance to meet her but would like to, come! Basically if you love Audrey and want to celebrate with us, come!

We are going to have a come and go (or come and stay!) party the afternoon of June 14th. I'm not entirely sure what the afternoon will look like yet, but I do know I need to give you a heads up so we can get on your calendar. Whatever happens, there will for sure be fun, something sweet to eat, and most importantly Audrey.

Please send me an email at audreybirthday@yahoo.com and I'll send you the evite. Don't be shy, we want to see you! Come grab a (insert future sugary treat here), play some foosball or a pick up game of basketball, and let me take a picture of you with our birthday girl.

Now this next part I have wrestled with including but I think it's such a cool idea I'm just going to go for it. 

We do not expect you to bring Audrey a gift! We only ask for you to show up. I thought about saying no gifts please, but I know some people just want to bring them anyway. If that is the case, Audrey is not an easy gal to shop for. So at the risk of sounding totally tacky, I have a suggestion.

A storybook with your name in the front cover would be the perfect token gift if you hate the idea of walking in empty handed. But while Audrey's vision is so-so, her sense of hearing is where it's at. So if you bring a book (or even if you don't!) would you please consider making a voice recording of yourself (with or without other family members) reading a story to Audrey, and then emailing it to me? I will put all of them together on a playlist for her to listen to during quiet time. This is something you can do even if you can't make the party (ahem, out of town and SLOS family). Audrey absolutely recognizes voices and loves to be read books. It would be so awesome for her to have "interaction" with those who love her whenever she wants.  If this is something you choose to do, you can email your recording to the same email address as above.

I've done a horrible job keeping up blogs lately, but even still, you have been along "Audrey's Path" with us for most of the journey. We are so looking forward to celebrating her six years with you!

No comments: