Thursday, December 30, 2010

Wax On, Wax Off

I decided last night, around 4 am (after you woke me up and I couldn’t fall back asleep) that you don’t have an ear infection at all. Because of the way Dr. C described what she saw, I am fairly certain it was wax, not puss.

You are the waxiest kid I know. And I am really bad about cleaning your ears. Bad in that I do it too often and probably too deep. I know I shouldn’t, but I’ll admit it. When I SEE the wax (and honestly, sometimes I can even smell it) I am more determined than I should be to get it. With Bubby, it’s not a problem. He isn't as waxy. And even if he were, I wouldn’t try like I do with you because I am sure he would thrash and lose an eardrum. But you cooperate.

I bet I have pressed the wax into the shape she illustrated on the examining table paper. I have learned my lesson. I will resist the Q-tips. But you are going to an ENT for a second opinion and possibly a wax extraction.

The good news is that you are feeling much better today. The bad news is that it wasn't well enough, fast enough, and the mini vacation we had planned needs to be postponed. The worst news is that now Daddy is starting to feel bad.

No comments: