Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Hairy Truth

I have avoided this topic for as long as possible. I didn't want to unnecessarily alarm you if it turned out to be no big deal. But it is time you knew the truth.

You lost a lot of hair for your surgery.

A lot of hair.

Those surgeons are heavy handed when it comes to the razor. The entire lower right quadrant of your hair is gone. They sent it all home with you in a little jar. (Not sure what I am supposed to do with it though...) I was hoping that after your bandages came off and your hair was washed, it would lay flat over the bald spot and conceal it. That is not the case.

I am not sure how Mommy can fix this one. Too low for a hat and a ponytail would be more revealing--I think our best bet is a thick headband that will cover the majority of the spot that was shaved. However, I am not sure if that will be comfortable for you. The valve that was inserted behind your ear is very noticeable and is very hard. You don't seem bothered to lay on it, but I am thinking the pressure from the headband may be too much. We will just have to see.

The good news is that your wounds look wonderful! You came out with two incisions, one on your head and one on your tummy. Both are completely healed and the scars are very clean. In a few weeks we will go back for another CT scan and see what difference the surgery has made.

All things considered, if the worst we came out with was missing locks, we did pretty good! So don't be sad over your hair...it will grow back.

1 comment:

Shanna said...

Thanks for all the delicious kisses I stole from you today, Princess Audrey! Don't tell Mommy, I gobbled you ALL up! I am sure you had some left over for her.
:-)